Do you love all things beauty but not the price tag that comes with spa treatments, salon appointments and expensive products?
Check out our tips on how to get your beauty fix and achieve great results without breaking your wallet!
1. DIY FACE MASKS
Did you know you can address all types of skin concerns using ingredients you can find in your local supermarket? Why not treat your skin with an all-natural, facial treatment! According to healthline.com, all you need are these simple items:
- Acne: 2 to 3 egg whites, dabbed on face with a cotton swab, letting it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Hyperpigmentation: ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1-2 tbsp raw honey, mixed and allowing the paste to sit on your face for 10 minutes before washing off with warm water.
- Clogged pores: 2 tsp oatmeal and 1 tsp baking soda combined with a couple drops of water, massaged into the face. Let this dry before washing off with warm water.
- Oily Skin: Mash 1 banana and add 10 drops of lemon juice and 1 tsp of olive oil to create a paste. Apply on the face and let it sit for 15 mins before washing off with warm water.
- Dry Skin: Blend half a cucumber with 2 tbsp aloe vera gel. Massage the mask over the face and let it sit for 30 mins, before washing it off with water.
- Wrinkles: Mash 2 avocados, add 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 1 tbsp raw honey. Massage the mask into your face and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing off with warm water.
For more information on DIY face masks, visit the healthline website here: https://www.healthline.com/health/homemade-face-masks. Please note, it is important to test a small area of your skin before applying the full mask to your face.
2. DIY TINTED MOISTURISER
Do you have foundation sitting on your vanity that’s either too thick or not the right shade? Don’t let it go to waste! Simply mix it with your favourite moisturiser to create a tinted moisturiser that provides you with a fresh, naturally beautiful look with a hint of colour to even out your skin tone.
To create a tinted moisturiser, start with a 1:1 ration between foundation to moisturiser, then mix and match between the ratio to create your desired coverage. Beauty tip: use a moisturiser with SPF to add some sunscreen to your new everyday go-to!
3. DIY LIP SCRUB
Has the winter weather left you with dry, chapped lips? Never fear! has put together some easy step-by-step instructions on how to exfoliate your lips so they are left feeling soft, smooth, plump and more kissable than ever. Best of all? It will make the look of your lipstick better and stay longer!
Use your toothbrush to gently exfoliate and use a humidifier to keep the air around you moist. Once you have finished exfoliating, apply a lip balm with SPF (for mornings) or a thick layer of a moisturising lip balm (for nights). Alternatively, you can also mix 1 tsp of honey and 2 tsp of sugar and massage the grainy texture on your lips for 10 minutes to create your very own DIY natural lip scrub.
4. DIY BODY SCRUBS
Looking to save on body treatments? Why not create your very own DIY coffee body scrub! According to a clinical study reported on healthline.com, a cream containing caffeine significantly helps to reduce the appearance of cellulite on the body, after twelve weeks of use.
You can make your own coffee scrub at home by mixing ½ cup of ground coffee, 2 tbsp of hot water and then adding in warm coconut oil to create your desired consistency. This aromatic DIY body scrub will not only help you achieve soft and smooth skin, but will also help to reduce the appearance of cellulite!
5. USE WHAT YOU’VE GOT!
In many cases, we can use items we already have in our beauty bags in various ways to save yourself from purchasing more products unnecessarily. Here are some of our favourite tips.
- Match your lips with the perfect blush by dabbing the lipstick onto your fingers and gently blending this into the apples of your cheeks. You can even lightly dab and blend this on your eyelids to use as a soft, cream eyeshadow.
- Use a brown eyeliner to draw light strokes onto your brows to lightly fill them in and then line your lids to produce a soft, natural look to enhance your eyes.
- Use a clear mascara to not only enable length and definition on your eyelashes, but to also tame any stray baby hairs or your brows.
Will you be giving these beauty hacks a go to save money?